Hey everyone, sorry for the silence for the past couple of months. Life has been busy between work and moving apartments, plus some other excuses and stuff.
Anyway, the latest piece I finished is Andre’s shop located in the Undead Parish. After my first long and grueling run through the Burg and Parish I was beaten down and low on health. In the distance I heard a rhythmic hammering sound. Being on edge, I cautiously made my way forward to find the source of the sound. At the bottom of a few flights of stairs I found one of the first characters that didn’t try to kill me. Andre the Blacksmith.
I was a little out of practice while building this one. I just sort of went into this without planning anything or thinking much through. So this was a quick build but maybe didn’t turn out as good as I would have hoped. I’m still very happy with it, and it looks good with my small collection of other scenes from Dark Souls.
The Andre figure is the first miniature that I could find at the shop that looked somewhat correct. I actually painted him up ages ago when I first started getting into this hobby.
I took fewer work-in-progress photos this time. Not sure if that’s good or bad.
Hope you enjoy this one!
This is my fourth full diorama. We’re still in the undead burg, just a short distance ahead of where we left off. The scene shows a pyromancer, fireball at the ready, entering a room filled with hollow warriors. I decided to do another scene in the burg because I felt that I needed some practice making structures. I have been dreading my first attempt at making an actual building with walls, but with a strong enough foam-safe glue it was surprisingly easy. I didn’t exactly measure anything, and I was mostly working off of memory of how this area looks so there are some structural differences. I also added some extra furnishings that aren’t in the area in-game, to keep things looking more interesting for the diorama.
I’m quite happy with how this turned out. It was a lot of fun adding the little details to this scene, and I look forward to making more interiors in the future. The arched windows were cut out of foam by tracing the lid of a bottle of paint, and that’s about the extent of ‘measuring’ that I did on this. I spread some glue in certain areas on the walls and put down some brownish green flock, and then went over that again once it dried with some lighter green fine flock. I think this gives a decent enough mossy effect to everything
As usual I took a few work-in-progress photos while I was making this, in case anyone is interested to see that. In the photo with the miniatures you can see the (somewhat goofy) face that I painted onto the pyromancer. This is the first time I’ve attempted to paint facial details and I’m actually pretty happy with how it turned out.
More to come!
Not ready to leave the Burg yet. I have been repeatedly trying and failing to convert a Minotaur figure into the Taurus Demon. Which sort of echoes my many failed attempts to kill him in the game when I first played. So much like on that first playthrough I have put that on hold for now to revisit the Burg.
Just a preview of what’s coming soon. I have finished building everything for this diorama and all that’s left is painting. Which always takes a long time for me. But I’m hoping to have the finished product ready very soon depending on my schedule
Just started work on the Taurus Demon encounter. This is only a very rough layout that I’ve come up with so far. I like very compact scenes that don’t take up a ton of space. And unfortunately I think this layout may be too big for my liking and have a lot of dead space.
I was really pleased with the walls I made. Carving the crenulations along the top was a bit tedious but I’m happy with the result.
I also don’t know of a good way to texture and detail cardboard to make it look like a stone wall. Foam is easy to indent and carve, but I’m at a loss for how to work with the cardboard used for the tower. If anyone has any tips or methods they use please let me know.
I may finish this if I can come up with some solutions for my problems with this. Or I may do something different for now depending on what mood strikes
Just finished work on my third diorama – A scene from the Undead Burg. My first time through this area was tough. I remember having a particularly hard time trying to manage fighting soldiers in the lower level as a hollow with a crossbow shot at me from above. This served as inspiration for this piece.
I haven’t really tried painting faces yet and I just knew I would end up with some goofy looking figures if I tried so I just used a wash to add a bit of depth to the faces. I think it works well enough for now.
The Undead Burg area consists largely of elevated rooftop areas so I tried to add some height to this diorama to reflect that
When making things I tend to just start making cuts in foam and get rough shapes for what I need. I don’t really measure anything, so things may not fit together very cleanly. But I’m happy with how it looks. I only had a rough idea for what I wanted and just added on as I went. I had actually completely finished the top half but then I started thinking it could use a little bit of height to sell the ‘rooftop’ vibe. So the lower half was quickly put together as the last step.
Here’s the lower half on a larger base than I ended up using
Continue reading “Undead Burg”
Here’s another small piece. The chosen undead’s first meeting with Solaire of Astora, where he gives the player the white sign soap stone.
The figures are Perry Miniatures bits, chopped up and converted as necessary, and a bit of greenstuff to add some extra details
And here’s a couple of ‘making-of’ photos
Here’s a small piece I made. The elite knight is a Perry figure that I added a coat and straps onto using Milliput. I’ll probably need to get better at using this stuff in order to make things look a little closer to Dark Souls